I have your hands.
Did you know that?
Or… your fingers at least.
The way the pointer ones are crooked and when you put them together they make a V shape.
I didn’t know this was from you before.
I thought it was a result from years of cracking my knuckles.
Until she pointed out that she had them too.
And that they came from you.
I use to hate my crooked fingers.
Now I love them.
Funny how stuff like that can change, huh?
I wish that I had gotten the chance to know you.
See your inner beauty that they speak of.
Have my own stories with you to tell.
I don’t blame you though.
I don’t blame anyone.
How could I?
This was the way that the cards were dealt.
Even though I was too young to remember you,
I’ve heard so much about you.
I think I see you in the women whose lives you touched.
I see you in my mother.
I see you in my cousin.
I see you in my sister.
I even see you in myself.
Thank you for making us the women we are today.
I think that you would be proud of me.
I’m a dreamer, did you know that?
I am consumed with the optimistic ideas of peace and love.
I try to be selfless and help others as much as I can.
I try to see life as an endless maze of opportunities.
And remember that even when times are hard, things will surely get better.
We will meet again one day.
I’ll get to experience your magic firsthand.
Hear the stories from your own mouth.
I’ll even tell you mine.
And after we get done catching up,
We will walk,
And we will talk,
And we will make memories of our own.
Just you and me, Grandma Annie.
Lovely...whimsical and yet positive. Writing that touches the soul paints a universal picture that readers can visualize in their own lives...that is what this piece does.
ReplyDeleteWow, Kelsey it was just beautiful, I loved it! It made me cry! Thank you for sharing your writing!
ReplyDeleteI told her...it would make you cry....it did me too!
ReplyDelete